Established in 1977, Pacific Ties is the oldest student-run Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) newsmagazine in the nation. We seek to showcase the rich and diverse stories of the APIDA community on and off campus through news and commentary. Today, we continue to create on-going dialogue that offers insight into the dynamics of being APIDA, challenges the perceptions of APIDA identity, and celebrates the achievements of the communities we all have ties to.
Pacific Ties Newsmagazine aims to be a platform for your voice and a chance to publish. Through our magazine, you will form connections with other APIDA writers/creatives, student groups, and community organizations. You will also gain valuable newsroom knowledge and a better understanding of the APIDA experience.
Writing interns join one of four sections — 1) News, 2) Opinion, 3) Arts & Culture, 4) Creative — and can expect to stay in their section for at least one quarter, though there are opportunities to train and write for another section later. After successfully completing one quarter as an intern, writing interns become staff writers.
• Attend weekly staff meetings
• Pitch, create, & publish at least 4 pieces each quarter
• Collaborate with other staff members (editors, design, photo, social media), communicate progress regularly to the managing team, meet assigned deadlines, & contribute work to further the publication’s mission
• All applications are due Friday of Week 1 (September 30) at 11:59 PM.
• If we move forward with your application, you will be contacted through email to schedule an interview time. Please list an email you check often to ensure you accept the application invite in a timely manner.