Established in 1977, Pacific Ties is the oldest student-run Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) newsmagazine in the nation. We seek to showcase the rich and diverse stories of the APIDA community on and off campus through news and commentary. Today, we continue to create on-going dialogue that offers insight into the dynamics of being APIDA, challenges the perceptions of APIDA identity, and celebrates the achievements of the communities we all have ties to.
Pacific Ties Newsmagazine aims to be a platform for APIDA student voices at UCLA. Through our magazine, you will form connections with other APIDA creatives, student groups, and community organizations. You will also gain valuable newsroom knowledge and a better understanding of the APIDA experience.
Copy interns will edit online and print pieces across all four sections: 1) News, 2) Opinion, 3) Arts & Culture, 4) Creative. After successfully completing one quarter as an intern, copy interns become copy editors.
• Attend weekly staff meetings
• Edit and write headlines for 2-3 online articles/week, plus any assigned quarterly print articles
• Edit for accuracy, grammar/spelling, adherence to AP style, sensitivity, & alignment with Pacific Ties policies
• Collaborate with other staff members (writers, section/managing editors, design team, etc.), communicate progress regularly to the managing team, meet assigned deadlines, & contribute to further the publication’s mission
• If we move forward with your application, you will be contacted through email to schedule an interview time. Please list an email you check often to ensure you accept the application invite in a timely manner.