As a recently created staff, BruinLife’s videographers will shoot high-quality videos throughout the year to add to the visual appeal of the BruinLife website and various Student Media websites and projects when needed. Their work entails aspects of both video-journalism and promotional video content.
After a minimum of 1 quarter of interning, videographers become eligible to be placed on stipend staff. A stipend is not an hourly compensation and are paid based on assignments turned in.
The BruinLife Video staff is involved in shooting various topics to be published on the BruinLife website, but also various video projects for Student Media
- As a videographer, you are responsible for quarterly video assignments, attending all staff meetings and video staff meetings. Shooting a minimum of 1 video assignments per deadline (every 3 weeks)
- You will gather video assets, compile footage and secure permission from outside sources
*Research, fact-check, and write interview questions
*Assist with shoots and/or editing sessions when necessary
*Basic video editing
- Pitching ideas, covering a range of events and topics for the BruinLife blog.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Complete a minimum of 2 office hours: All BruinLife staff members are required to do a minimum 2 office hours (you choose the hours) per week in the office. And no, these are not the necessarily the same as professor office hours. The purpose of these office hours are to do BruinLife related work (main) but we encourage you to utilize our office to study, nap, get away from the heat/cold and interact with other members of the BL staff who you will be working with.
Applicants do not need prior video experience to apply for this job. There will be Student Media training sessions taught by professionals, staff workshops, and office hours available for guidance. However, due to the nature of the position, videographers with basic knowledge of video editing and/or taking video will be preferred.
- Strong interest in news media, promotional/product video/video-editing and documentaries
- Ability to multitask, and work under tight deadlines
- Strong desire to learn and get involved
- Proficient in Google Suite
- Communication skills
- Keen eye for detail
- Self-starter attitude
- Familiarity with Adobe Premiere Pro is a plus, but not a requirement
Please note that mandatory video training for new staff videographers will occur on the weekend of October 19-20 (only 1 day), October 26-27 (only 1 day) and November 2-3 (only 1 day). Location and times TBA.
What we can offer you
- A more extensive resume.
- Networking opportunities with alumni and other Student Media publications.
- A platform for your creative work thru our blog and various Student Media projects.
- Connections with community organizations.
- Valuable news room knowledge and better understanding of how to work in a production environment.
- A safe space for dialogue and different values.
- Food and socials/field trips.
- Long time friends.
Video Samples (link urls)
Short answer responses