BruinLife’s photographers shoot thousands of high-quality photos throughout the year to add to the visual appeal of the website, magazine and yearbook. Their work entails aspects of both photojournalism and stock photography. Together, the staff contributes heavily to the all-color book’s attractive illustrative design and to the dozen stories published on a regular basis online.
After a minimum of 1 quarter of interning, photographers become eligible to be placed on stipend staff. A stipend is not an hourly compensation and are paid based on assignments turned in.
The BruinLife Photography staff is involved in shooting various topics for articles to be published both online and in the yearbook, but also various photo projects for various other magazines.
- As a photographer, you are responsible for a minimum of 3 quarterly yearbook photo assignments
- 3 photo assignments for our online publication every 2 weeks
- 1 Photo Essay Assignment per quarter
- Attend all staff meetings (1-2 per quarter)
- Attend photo staff meetings (every other week)
- Pitch ideas, covering a range of events and topics for the BruinLife website
- *Complete a minimum of 2 office hours: All BruinLife staff members are required to do a minimum 2 office hours (you choose the hours) per week in the office. And no, these are not necessarily the same as professor office hours. The purpose of these office hours is to do BruinLife related work (main) but we encourage you to utilize our office to study, nap, get away from the heat/cold and interact with other members of the BL staff who you will be working with. PLEASE NOTE that with school being virtual, the minimum number of office hours has been suspended until Fall 2021.
Applicants do not need prior photo experience to apply for this job. There will be Student Media training sessions taught by professionals, staff workshops, and office hours available for guidance. However, due to the nature of the position, photographers with basic knowledge of photography will be preferred.
Please note that mandatory training for new staff. Dates and times TBA.
What we can offer you
- A more extensive resume.
- Networking opportunities with alumni and other Student Media publications.
- A platform for your creative work thru our magazine and website.
- Your work is printed in an award winning yearbook that is made of over 500 pages.
- Connections with community organizations.
- Valuable news room knowledge and better understanding of how to work in a production environment.
- A safe space for dialogue and different values.
- Food and socials/field trips.
- Long time friends.
Portfolio (PDF of 6-8 photos that showcase visual storytelling ability)
Short answer responses
If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected]