The Layout/Design Staff is responsible for page design using software such as Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Staff members handle strict deadlines to ensure each article and photograph integrate with page spreads and contribute to overall book consistency.
After a minimum of 1 quarter of interning, layout/design interns become eligible to be placed on stipend staff. A stipend is not an hourly compensation and are paid based on assignments turned in.
- The BruinLife Design staff is involved in designing and lay outing pages various topics for pages for the yearbook and magazine.
- As a designer, you are responsible for quarterly yearbook assignments
- Attend All Staff meetings (2-4 per quarter)
- Attend bimonthly layout/design meetings
- 1 Writing Assignment: Regardless of whichever staff you belong to, everyone is required to write a minimum of 1 article for the yearbook (300-600 words). This is to speed up production and help you understand how the overall production cycle works.
- Designing a minimum of 1 assignments per deadline for the yearbook (7 deadlines in the school year)
- Lay out a minimum of 4 assignments per deadline for the yearbook (7 deadlines in the school year)
- Designing a minimum of 1 assignment for the BruinLife Magazine per deadline (2 deadlines in the school year)
- Complete a minimum of 2 office hours: All BruinLife staff members are required to do a minimum 2 office hours (you choose the hours) per week in the office. And no, these are not the necessarily the same as professor office hours. The purpose of these office hours are to do BruinLife related work (main) but we encourage you to utilize our office to study, nap, get away from the heat/cold and interact with other members of the BL staff who you will be working with.
Applicants do not need prior photo experience to apply for this job. There will be Student Media training sessions taught by professionals, staff workshops, and office hours available for guidance. However, due to the nature of the position, photographers with basic knowledge of photography will be preferred.
Please note that mandatory photo training for new staff layout/designers will occur on the weekend of October 19-20 (only 1 day), October 26-27 (only 1 day) and November 2-3 (only 1 day). Location and times TBA.
What we can offer you
- A more extensive resume.
- Networking opportunities with alumni and other Student Media publications.
- A platform for your creative work thru our magazine and blog.
- Your work is printed in an award winning yearbook that is made of over 500 pages.
- Connections with community organizations.
- Valuable news room knowledge and better understanding of how to work in a production environment.
- A safe space for dialogue and different values.
- Food and socials/field trips.
- Long time friends.
Design Portfolio (PDF of 3-5 designs that showcase your design abilities)
Short answer responses