Copy editors edit every article that goes in print and on the website to make sure that it follows the rules of grammar, Associated Press style, coherency, factual accuracy and consistency. Copy is ultimately responsible for sending a clean, consistent and complete yearbook, magazine & website content to the printer by deadline.
After 1 quarter of internship, copy editors become eligible for stipend staff. A stipend is not an hourly compensation and is paid based on assignments turned in.
Please note that there is mandatory training for new interns. Training usually happens at the end of Week 2, 3 and 4. Further details will be given upon acceptance.
- Edit articles for both print and online
- Assist writers with questions about how to better improve their articles
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Pay attention to subtext and context within the article as a whole, as language can either inform or alienate a reader, and we want to help the reader as much as possible.
- Create headlines for articles
- Edit photo captions
- Complete a minimum of 3 office hours: All BruinLife staff members are required to do a minimum 3 office hours (you choose the hours) per week in the office. And no, these are not necessarily the same as professor office hours. The purpose of these office hours are to do BruinLife related work (main) but we encourage you to utilize our office to study, nap, get away from the heat/cold and interact with other members of the BL staff who you will be working with.
- Ability to multitask, and work under tight deadlines
- Strong desire to learn and get involved
- Proficient in Google Suite
- Communication skills
- Keen eye for detail
- Self-starter attitude
- Familiarity with Adobe Premiere Pro is a plus, but not a requirement
What we can offer you
- A more extensive resume.
- Networking opportunities with alumni and other Student Media publications.
- A platform for your creative work through our blog and various Student Media projects.
- Connections with community organizations.
- Valuable news room knowledge and a better understanding of how to work in a production environment.
- A safe space for dialogue and different values.
- Food and socials/field trips.
- Long-time friends.
Short answer responses
If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected]