Created in the 2018-2019 school year, the BruinLife online magazine/blog is targeted at the UCLA community. Writers for our online platform write about a variety of events, from lifestyle to politics, culture to entertainment – all with their distinct personal flair. No experience is necessary – just a passion for explaining ideas, topics and issues and expressing one's own ideas and thoughts.
After a minimum of 1 quarter of interning, writers become eligible to be placed on stipend staff. A stipend is not an hourly compensation and are paid based on assignments turned in.
- Pitch ideas, covering a range of events and topics for the BruinLife online publication.
- 1 short assignment minimum every other week.
- 3 medium-long format blog posts per quarter
- 1 Writing Assignment: Regardless of whichever staff you belong to, everyone is required to write a minimum of 1 article for the yearbook (300-600 words). This is to speed up production and further help build your writing skills.
- Attend all staff meetings (2-4 per quarter)
- Attend blog staff meetings (bimonthly)
- Complete a minimum of 2 office hours: All BruinLife staff members are required to do a minimum 2 office hours (you choose the hours) per week in the office. And no, these are not the necessarily the same as professor office hours. The purpose of these office hours are to do BruinLife related work (main) but we encourage you to utilize our office to study, nap, get away from the heat/cold and interact with other members of the BL staff who you will be working with.
Applicants do not need prior writing experience to apply for this job. There will be Student Media training sessions taught by professionals, staff workshops, and office hours available for guidance. However, due to the nature of the position, writers with organized, persuasive, and succinct writing abilities will be preferred.
Please note that mandatory writing training for new staff writers will occur on the weekend of January 25-26 (only 1 day), February 1-2 (only 1 day), and February 8-9 (only 1 day). Location and times TBA.
What we can offer you
- A more extensive resume.
- Networking opportunities with alumni and other Student Media publications.
- A platform for your voice through our magazine.
- Your work is printed in an award-winning yearbook that is made of over 500 pages.
- Connections with community organizations.
- Valuable news room knowledge and a better understanding of how to work in a production environment.
- A safe space for dialogue and different values.
- Food and socials/field trips.
- Make long-time friends.
Writing Sample (PDF of 2-3 writing samples that show your writing abilities)
Short answer responses